Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Delayed and Windy 3M: Race Report

Before I even forget the details of the race, I need to get this race report rolling!

The night before, my good friends parents celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary with a Mass a party of 450 people. Rolph and I were so honored to be included and it truly was a great time with, yes, dancing in high heels. So, while I had just one glass of wine (imagine that!), my feet did hurt a bit from the dancing. And, I felt terribly guilty leaving so early, but I HAD to go to bed.

I woke up at 4ish and did the usual pre-race super OC crazy stuff. The crew which now included my Jersey girl Mo and her peeps, my Dallas pal, CW and my Austin team AT and LB gathered at LB's office and carpooled up to the start.

After much consternation over which shoes to wear and actually taking a car by car poll, I put on the old Mizuno Precisions and put the timing tape on it. I think my carload of folks just wanted me to shut up! Once the timing tag was on, I had one less thing to stress over. I do get pretty OC before races...just ask LB.

Speaking of LB, I tossed by shirt when the race was supposed to start and he picked it up. Lucky for him as it kept it him warm while we waited. Lucky for me, he tossed it to his wife who was a spectator this year and I got it back!

We headed to the start at 6:40ish. The race was billed to start early at 6:45 AM on the dot. LB and I scooted in by some familiar Gazelle faces. 6:45, 6:46, and so on and so on. Evil comes over the airwaves to tell us there is a race delay. Barricades are blowing down and the City of Austin will not let us start until they are back up. This could take a while. And it did, about an hour. Did I mention it was windy...natural wind and gross wind. I mean, people, it was a crowd of people near you, could you not move away to expel that!

Speaking of LB, I tossed by shirt when the race was supposed to start and he picked it up. Lucky for him as it kept it him warm while we waited. Lucky for me, he tossed it to his wife who was a spectator this year and I got it back!

So, by the time we're ready to roll, LB and I almost bailed. Caffeine was gone, urge to run was gone and I was actually feeling kind of tired. We decided to ditch the plan and just run a long run when the gun went off.

We started a bit slow for our usual, but we had to warm up now. My feet hurt right away, I mean they hurt. I thought to myself that I would never make it to the end. I wanted to bail, again.

About mile 6, my hamstring starts to cramp. I wait and keep running. LB, my hamstring is cramping, I announce about a mile later. He mutters some assurances and tells me to try to run with a bit different stride. But now, I'm getting nervous. I mean, it hurts...it is tight. And, I really don't want to be stupid and get hurt at 3M and not do Boston.

We pass by the relay exchange and the fresh runners are jamming by us. Next is the turn onto Burnet...the part of the course I hate the most. I start to get pissed. I mean, I have practiced this course so many times. I decide that I am not giving in to this...not that pain in my feet, not the hamstring, not the negative thoughts. I am going to speed it up and bit and get going. Besides, now I want to get done.

I see a woman in blue shorts running pretty strong and I decide to focus on not losing her and possibly catching up to her.

Finally, we turn on North Loop. Now, this I've got. I have run this over and over. People around me to start to fade on the rolling hills. I accelerate again. I have done this, I can do this. I will not give up. The next hill, I pass a guy -- 25 points. I pass another guy by the cemetery who had been way ahead of me. I refuse to look at my watch or look back. LB is behind me now. I'm waiting for him to come up on me as he always does on the hills.

I turn on Duval. I see girl in blue shorts and catch her. I forget what we say, but they were compliments. I ask her how old she is. I'm 27 she says, Whew, I think. And, I'm doing the relay. OMG, no wonder she seems so fresh. She offers to help push and pull and I accept her offer. By Mother's, I'm feeling really good and going faster up the hill. Not too much more, I tell myself. Blue shorts is behind me now.

I head to UT. Lots of traffic and people are up out of their cars complaining to the cops. They are blocked since the race started so late. I know this last stretch and I cannot give up. I have to finish strong. The wind whips so hard around the stadium that I can barely catch my breath. Once at MLK, I"m home free. I see Michael Madison over to my right and smile. I think he called out to me. I'm pushing, harder and harder. I know Gilbert will be near the end somewhere and I want him to see me working really hard and pushing as much as I can.

His hand stretches out suddenly from the left. RED, he shouts and I smile. I know he's surprised that I'm smiling as the last few races I have been quite unhappy at the end. Now, I feel great and push even harder.

I see the number on the clock and realize that I will not hit or beat my personal record. But, in my heart, I am ok with that. I really wanted to grab a 1:32 or better, but given that I started so slow and had to deal with the cramp, I am not surprised by the time. I come through the finish and pump my hands in the air. I FEEL GREAT! My foot holds out even though they hurt, the cuboid has not collapsed. I ran negative splits, I ran hard. I find girl in the blue shorts and hug her. Thank you, I say, thank you. Did you do it? she asks me. I know she's asking if I PR'd. I just say yes, yes, I did it, thank you for helping me.

Chip Time: 1:34:17; Age group 40-44 4th; Female overall: 42
Mile one: 7:38
Mile two: 7:34
Mile three: 7:25
Mile four: 7:05
Mile five: 7:00
Mile six: 7:14
Mile seven: 7:18 (hamstring killing me)
Mile eight: 7:23 (really slowing down here)
Mile nine: 7:15 (getting pissed)
Mile 10: 7:09 (getting my groove)
Mile 11: 7:01
Mile 12: 7:05
Mile 13: 6:54
.01: 0:42

I need to still work on being consistent, but I'll take! See you next year 3M!

2 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Awesome!!! Can't wait to get back there soon!!!

Christy said...

You ran an AWESOME race!!!!