Friday, January 8, 2010

Trollin' for Lighter Shoes

Here's where it gets sticky. When I actually have options and I'm trying to figure out what I should do and what will help me get there.

So, I had the chance to go to Gazelles for 800's do I go? No. I met my friend A.T. earlier and cranked out 7 miles on the Exposition route. My explanation, I need more rolling hills training. I have a good 18 miles in for the week now before the long run. And, just in time before the cold snap. It was a decent run, although I'm fast getting tired of the route, but I have to learn to push hard on the hills when I'm tired.

Since I was finished early, I headed to the track to get my fix. Before I even get out of the car, I hear Gilbert screaming, RED! I trot over and give him a big hug. "You having a good new year Red?" he asks me like he knows something is wrong. He's already seen me since the New Year but he's got this way. I change the subject by admiring his new Falke jacket. Where'd you get that one, I like, I try to divert him. "Just for me, Red, coaches jacket."

I ask Gilbert if he thinks my foot will hold in a lighter shoe for the 3M. The Asics that I am wearing are pretty heavy. He looks at my feet and says nothing...that is not a good sign. He turns away to coach the group.

Troy from Sports Performance is there and, as always, he's wondering how things are coming along. How does the foot hold out on the long runs? How far have I gone? How far did I just run? How fast am I running? I tell him honestly that the foot will hold for the 1/2 marathon, but I'm not really sure how it will be beyond that. I'm worried. Come in, he says, let's keep working on it.

I hang for a while shootin' the breeze with some Gazelles. Kenny Hill is training for Austin. He's always such a huge inspiration to me. He's such an encouraging coach. He was one of the first people to tell me I HAD to do Boston. I ask him if he's going to Boston this year. He says, "No, but I'll see you there in 2011, Red."

Dude, I've got to get through 2010.

Oh, back to the shoes. I think the answer is probably not. Gilbert pointed out some shoes, told me a shoe to try which I already can't remember since I'm that aging athlete....the mind goes first.

1 comment:

Holly Reed said...

Red,I've always wondered about how my heavier shoes ((Mizuno Wave Creation) are affecting my feet. I've had arch pain and foot cramps a lot lately!
If you try lighter shoes..let me know if it helps! Love your blog!!!