Monday, January 11, 2010

17 Degrees and 2 Jersey Girls in Austin?

Time for training on the course for 3M; except it's 17 degrees in Austin, Texas, not Parsippany, New Jersey. I mean it is cold and this Jersey girl has lost her ability to deal with the cold anymore. I mean, I am a total wimp...and, I hate to wear tights.

I convince my new found Jersey Girl and Gazelle, Mo to come on down from Ft. Hood and run with the Gazelle's on Sat in the freezing weather. We start later than normal, a luxurious 7 AM! I drive to the start and off we go.

We kvetch at each other for a few miles as any Jersey Girl would. We start WAY too fast. I mean, like I see Duane fast, and I tell her we have to slow this train down or we'll never make it to the end. We want to do 15 at least. If she drove all the way from Ft. Hood, I cannot bail at 13!.

Tights and all, we hammer it out. I have to stop twice, which is a drag, but Mo is a good sport about it. We really pick it up at the end, coming down North Loop and turning onto Duval. I am really pushing through campus but decide to dial it back for the last bit. I want to quit and go home, I know we need to add on before we hit RunTex, so we head by the Statesman and make a loop which feels like the longest mile ever. I mean my legs are sore and I haven't even stopped yet.

We hit 15 and change and we head into the annex where some pseudo stretching has begun. We shoot the proverbial S#$t for a bit and then head out. A new Gazelle stops us and asks us for a ride to her starting point. She suggest we drop her on the ramp at Anderson Lane...and, we do. It's odd, but there are no cars behind us and we're all ok with it...Her birthday is this week too...all these Capricorns.

If only I had those lighter shoes...

2 comments:

Jerz Maureen said...

#1 I love this post #2 I agree we started out way to fast but I am so glad to have found you, my long runs were never really faster than 9 min miles but with you bring on the 7:52 average pace!! haha!! I am soo excited for Boston!! Do you watch the Jersey Shore on MTV - it is bad but their nicknames are hilarious..we need to come up with some..maybe I could be "the wall" I mean one guys name is "the situation" lol !

Anonymous said...

Great to see you braving the cold on Saturday! Don't feel bad, I had to wear my old tights too! 2 Jersey girls now??