Wednesday, December 31, 2008

No Watch, no tempo - Freedom

It's the last day of the year and I am ending my year just as I started it -with Lorenzo taking the stats and emailing them to me. I was supposed to do tempo today, but left the house without my fancy Garmin watch that, by the way, I still can't use to it's full potential. But, it's green and it looks good!

So, I didn't have enough time to go home and get the watch. I have become addicted to my watch, or the information it gives me -- the distance I run, the time I run in and my variation of effort during the workouts. Needless to say, I was a bit distressed.

When I arrive, I am sneezing like crazy...I feel horrible. Lorenzo soon calls it. No tempo, just get some miles in. I have to admit, I am so darn relieved. It ends up being a great run, even though I'm sneezing like crazy. It's great because there's no pressure, no watch. We talk about last year's running and our respective accomplishments and plan for 2009.

I have never run as many miles as I did this year -- approx. 1400. I had never done a marathon until this past Fall and I qualified for Boston. I did lots of races in the Spring and had a ton of fun. My kids ran a race too! (see Jingle Bell).

And, I've met so many incredible people who I learn from all the time. It's been a great year. I hope that in 2009 I can get my core strengthened, bust a 20 min. in a 5K and have a few great/fun races.

Alas, I need rest to get rid of this cold. I pray for peace in 2009, for more hope and joy, for civility among people all over the world.

1 comment:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Here's to a great 2009 and many fast finishes!!