Monday, December 15, 2008

Jersey Jingle!

The first 5k of my non-marathon training "season" was the MADD Jingle Bell at the Domain. The race has now moved up to the Domain and I have to say, I do not like it. I love the races downtown. This course was ho-hum, boring. And, it was really windy. One way you battled the wind, but the other way, it did not seem to help you at all. It was fight the wind, then come to a dead stop. Anyway, I'm from Jersey, we complain a lot. Just ask my Lorenzo Blanco.

This year, I was so happy that my kids wanted to do the kids K. So, we all headed out there and I loved that they were so excited by picking up their packets and putting their numbers on. We got our picture with Santa -- thank you MADD -- no mall, no line!

We got right up to the start with Aidan on the line and Lourdes between myself and Rolph. I was worried that she'd get pushed over. Along comes "Loud Guy". I started seeing him at races last year at the Jingle Bell. He looks like he digs in the back of his drawer for an old pair of running shorts and shows up at the race..and, if he is ever behind you, he is so LOUD. Drove me crazy last year. Anyway, his kids were running too.

Aidan took off like a shot, too fast. Lourdes took off too, but made a pit stop as her Jingle bells were coming off and she was crying. We told her we'd get her some more at the end and tried to get her back to running. I mean she came to a dead stop for those bells. Up ahead, Aidan was starting to come back toward the finish line and fading. I decided to run along side him. He wanted to quit. You can't quit, I tell him. There's the finish line. Lift your knees up, use your arms, you are awesome, I tell him. Come on, let's go. He pushes as hard as he can, finishes and sits on the curb with his head between his legs -- great job, I tell him. He's mad that he didn't do better...sounds familiar. I think you may have started a bit too fast. I try to console him but he's having none of it.

I head back to the finish just in time to see Lourdes coming across with a big smile and I hug her. Where's my medal, she says! She remembers that I have gotten medals when I've finished some races! How cute!

It's my turn now and I have not warmed up at all. Too late to worry about it. I look for Lorenzo and see him sticking up his hand. I head over toward him. I recognize a woman next to us and say hi. I've seen her at Chuy's and other races and seen her on the trail too. She says she got injured right after IBM this year. Ouch! Anyway, really nice, she trains with another group in town, but nice woman.

The gun goes off and we're off. I'm out too fast on the first mile and once we head to the boring, windy part, animal print shorts paces me. I think to myself, ok, I will stay behind her and catch up at the end. I really think I can pass her but want to wait. I take water at the first stop which I have never done at a 5 K before. It's humid. There's a turn around -- I hate those. I see KS and say hi. I see a few other Gazelles and say hey. Anyway, we turn and I start to lose more ground, but I feel I'm catching up to animal print. We head toward the end and I'm not too far back thinking, maybe she's younger than me! Hee Hee. I hear my kids and Rolph over to the side and I think, I thought they were heading to Mass. Anyway, I try to dig, to lean forward, to push. Animal print beats me. I walk and bit and bend over nearly hurling. I am SO out of shape, I think. I remember that I really should keep moving to avoid throwing up so I move. I see L from the start. Her friend has my keys and she offers to run back and get them.

I head over to the posting to see that animal print is there. She's in my age group and has beat me by a few seconds. I tell her, I tried to hang on to you, but I just didn't have it to give. I heard you back there, she says, which kept me going. (I hope I'm not Loud Girl) Anyway, we introduce ourselves to each other and I congratulate her. She's super nice and congratulates me too.

Second again, but it's ok with me this year! I don't make the Gazelle posting since I didn't run below 20 mins. Close, but no cigar!

The best part of the whole day was seeing my kids have such a great time. They wore their shirts all day and told everyone they ran. My son talked strategy the whole rest of the day. And, my daughter is still looking for her medal!

Happy holidays!

2 comments:

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Starting to get caught up on your blog!! Love it!! I'm afraid to try speed work again...it's been a couple of months!!

Red said...

I'm not that witty, but I feel like I need to write it all down.