Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mizuno, I hardly knew ya

Over time, I've realized that THE shoes are really critical to running. Not just ANY shoe, but THE shoe. Gilbert preaches this to us all the time. He has an innate gift of knowing how to correct ailments by changing shoes. He can run to the back of RunTex and return with THE shoe and you don't even have to try on another pair.

Bernard has the same gift. And, since Bernard is at RunTex quite a bit, I always get my shoes from the smiling Bernard man. It's the easiest shoe visit ever. I need a new pair, I say. Ok, Red. Back he goes to the store room and out he comes with my shoe in my size without asking me another word. Now, we just got straight to the counter; no trying on or trotting around the store required.

So, imagine my dismay when Mizuno decided to retire the Wave Runner 8. I bought the last pair at RunTex in my size. Then, right before the marathon, I hunted for them on the web. No one had my size.

I decided to order the Wave Mizuno 9, from, horrors, Road Runner Sports (sorry RunTex, they were cheaper). They can't be too different, I think. I get them 2.5 weeks before the marathon and tear in to the box when they arrive. They are clean, nifty and blue. Ok, I would have preferred green, but ah well.

On a recovery day, I lace them up and head out. I'm not even a mile into the run and I hate them. I mean, not just a little. They are horrible. But, I am not sure why. I turn around and change shoes...they are that bad.

I throw them in the box and head to see Bernard -- shoe guru. I confess my sin of ordering online and ask if, please oh please, he can dig through the back and, by chance, by some small miracle, there's a pair of Wave Runner 8's in my size back there.

No, there's not, I'm telling you, he says without even looking, he knows the inventory and I realize that I'm toast. It's too late for new shoes Red, Bernard so wisely tells me. Let me see the old ones. You'll make it just fine, you have plenty of road left on these, just alternate them.

I still would like new shoes...bummer.

Anyway, I ask him about the 9's. I know he says, I don't know why they changed them. I don't like them either.

What a relief...I'm not crazy...they changed something and even this super fast, race-every- weekend-and-win guy is telling me he doesn't like the changes either! Whew!

After the marathon, I give them another try. After all, I've spent the cash and don't think I can send them back. I lace them up but take my daughter to school first. By the time I am driving home, I realize that I still hate them and don't even want to walk in them, let alone run. I head home and change before my run.

I search the web frantically for another pair of WR 8's in my size and find a single pair at some ski shop in Vermont. I immediately order them (sorry RunTex). Christmas came early when they arrived....I was so darn happy to see them.

Lesson one, listen to your shoe guru; he knows.

Lesson two, don't cheat on your shoe guru; he knows.

Lesson three, get as many pair of the shoes you love to run in, because they will change them and you will hate them!

Mizuno -- go back to the old version...please....

No comments: