Monday, January 5, 2009

Are we in Jersey?

Double D, Lorenzo and I all ran today. It was freakin' freezin'. I mean Jersey freezin'. And, I thought to myself. For #$%# sake, I would NOT be a runner if I still lived on the East Coast. My hair would be big, I'd have gold around my neck, maybe a few more diamonds (forget 'bout it) and I WOULD BE BIG. Anyway, I am here, in Texas, my hair is not big and I headed out today in the cold, wet, rain.

Double D and I got to business for a while, but I screwed it up by talking...way too much. Ok, I don't know what the heck happened, but I was like blah...blah...blah...Poor Double D. We were ahead for a bit, but slowly but surely, I heard Lorenzo's stride behind us (he's tapering) and I knew we were running way to slow if he was catching us on taper-speed and we were supposed to be at 1/2 marathon speed. UGH.

Not to mention the fact that those firecracker runners come from no where. And this is both disarming and disillusioning at the same time. I mean, at first, it was hey, how ya doin'? Then suddenly they appear from hear and there; at points where you don't expect them on the trail. And, I have no idea where they came from. Anyway, at one point, those firecrackers were just hanging out on the trail. I don't know what was going on, but they suddenly stopped fakin' me out and they were just standing there motionless. I asked them what was wrong. They mumbled some firecracker/gazelle language (maybe it's at top speed too and only fast people can understand them) and I just carried on like I knew what was happening.

I tried to catch LB then (story of my running life) and every time I got close, he sped up. Oye. Anyway, we get to the end and Double D says, we're short 3 tenths. Crap. Now that my Garmin is working, I can't short it. I'm at 10.72. Here comes a splinter group of the firecrackers again and I start to trot. "I'm short 3 10th's" I shout. As if to say, I am trotting in slow motion next to you super fast Gazelle trot which to me is a run because I just need to clock the miles and I'd rather not exert myself too hard.

But, I know they don't believe me.

2 comments:

Tall Dan said...

ROTFL! -- Dan, from the "splinter group"

Red said...

One day, I will join you