Saturday, February 27, 2010

What? Just 15 miles, nice

Week eight was a "recovery" week. I actually made it to two Gazelle workouts -- Meridien hill repeats and tempo run.

Meridien was a serious challenge as it was raining and cold, weather that soon turned to snow? or hail. The Boston group was to do 5 or 6 and these are brutal as they roll up and down and it's quite a challenge for me, but I tried to hang with the group. I didn't really warm up enough, but I had to get it done. We also ran up the hill backwards and sprinted. Fun Stuff!

Thursday was tempo day. Basically, a throw down. We warmed up for three miles, hit the bridge at Congress where Bernard was supposed to be, but wasn't and we took off. I started out with Ian and Jimmy and they quickly dropped me, but I tried to keep them in my sights the whole time and not give up. When you are alone, it's really tough to keep the time, but I did ok, dropping it some each mile. When I crossed the finish, Jimmy and Ian were already there, but the whole group of Gazelles was cheering everyone coming across which really made you want to dig it out.

Bernard asked us where we all were, since he claims he was a the start. We think he left after the faster people :-)

I made it to the gym twice (miracle) and did the 15 miles today for the long run. Compared to last week, the 15 miles actually felt short even with all the hills at "Lollipop" in the end. I hung and didn't complain. I had one moment where my calf tightened up and a very fast guy was a the water stop. He asked us the direction. He said he'd been running with Gilbert (now that's fast). We told him he could do the hill ahead or go back the downhill way. He said, I don't want to be a cry baby and give up now. I seriously thought he was channeling LB, who is on a cruise this week...it was kind of spooky.

I did the hill, we finished up. Since it was just us girls, my fellow Jersey girl, Mo and my fellow over extended mom, Liz, we had quite the range of topics...there's lots to say in 15 miles.

Thanks Ladies! Week 7, a harder week ahead which is more complicated by Rolph having to travel, but somehow, I'll get the runs in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ER sez you go girl! Go Yankees!!