Wednesday, February 10, 2010

10 Weeks to Go

It's kind of shocking how long and how short 10 weeks seems all at the same time. When I first looked at the schedule for Boston, it seemed so far away, now there's 10 weeks -- that's it.

Hard training for eight weeks, one week to taper and race week. Wow! Here's where I start to get scared and very obsessed with the numbers -- how many miles, what time, etc.

I also still have a cold which isn't helping.

I ran Monday and the minute I got out there, the Heavens opened up. Of course, I had waited for it to clear up. With my chest cold and now being completely soaked to the skin, I pulled up a little after 4 miles.

Aidan had practice with Bernard later that night, so I figured somehow I would get another mile in there.

Well, Monday night it got very cold and windy. I headed to add my mile when my daughter fell and skinned her knee...she's determined to run, but we headed back to the car.

Here's the thing about Gazelles. My friend R., who is doing the Austin Marathon this coming weekend, was out there and borrowed a pony-tail holder from me. She came back to my car to return it. She really didn't have to. But, she did and she sat in my car for a few minutes entertaining my daughter so I could get my mile in. She knows how important the mileage is. Thank you R! (I know R well people, so don't get all crazy about me leaving my kid with someone!)

And, Bernard waited for me to get back too...I was gone all of 8 minutes, but the miles got logged for the day.

Tuesday, up at a crazy hour to meet LB by 5 AM to do 11 miles. My legs felt stiff, but LB, who keeps incredible records from the past trainings, reminds me that we are running more and better than when we trained for San Antonio. I feel assured by that. Perhaps this aging athlete's body is learning to absorb the tough training.

I would really like to get in a 65 - 70 mile week before Boston, but I think my body cannot handle it. The most I ever did before San Antonio was 45 miles. I will have to live with 50-55.

Today, I read about elites training for Austin who put in 100 miles weeks...amazing. I can't wait to watch them on Sunday!

No comments: