Tuesday, November 24, 2009

San Antonio - post race report

Well, has anyone told you how humid it was? I actually thought it was about 71% humidity, until I learned later that it was more like 94% humidity.

I loved seeing all the Gazelle's before and during the race, especially, my crew, AW, CC, AT, Double D. I really loved seeing CR, Leslie, and CW at the start. I was excited for them and hopeful. They don't know it, but they helped relax me.

I started out ok, probably the wrong placement and too fast for the weather. But, I was unaware. I made the cardinal mistake and started too fast, feeling too pressed by my previous times. I ran with some guys from the National Guard...they were helpful and supportive. Tall Dan came up and ran with me for awhile and really cheered me on.

I ate the hill, that was good. Saw LB twice. Dan cheered more great thoughts my way. Karen S ran alongside me for a bit which really gave me a boost. Gilbert picked up my Hail Mary at the exact spot in the prayer where I was...this is now the second time he's done this and it freaks me out. But, I know I am fading. Too fast fades to too slow to hit the number. Slow gets slower, now I am hanging on to qualifying for New York. A marathon I won't even go too...I know this, but it gives me something to strive for. I try, I push, I kick what I can.

I cross the finish, congratulate the women that I worked with on the course, pick up my stuff, change, sit on the curb and start to cry. I'm alone, no one I know is nearby, no Gazelles, no family. A poor showing for me. I haven't trained well; I tossed out the plan. I pick myself up and head to watch for my friends.

Good news, my foot held out. It doesn't swell, I am walking. I watch the elite marathoners come in and wonder what that is like.

1 comment:

Christy said...

You are an inspiration to many!! And I was cheering you on from 30 minutes behind you!!!! Thank god for good friends and inspirations like you! 3m here we come again..... Minus the wine.