Thursday, August 13, 2009

Whatev

I know, it's not Whatever, think Jersey, it's "whatev." That's how I feel about my running this week.

I guess I had higher expectations that I would be more like my old self right now. I mean, ok, I drank too much wine on Friday, so bonked on Saturday. But, I've been behaving, and my last two 7 milers have, well, frankly, um, sucked. (this is called "can't take the Jersey out of the girl)

I'm kind of fed up with it all. I know I shouldn't be. But, on the one hand, Pieter wants me to run at a faster pace and do a speed workout with Gazelles. I just don't feel up to it. I am really struggling on these runs to find the groove, to run without pain or discomfort, to open up the stride.

Basically, I am not running with Joy as coach would say. I'm thinking, I'm adjusting, I'm watching my watch. I pull my knees higher, I watch my foot strike on the right leg, I stick my butt out while pulling my gut in (no easy task) and, I lean forward. I'm uncomfortable. I get one or two miles where I get into a groove and that's it.

I hear my breathing, I hear my plodding feet, I feel my gut go up and down while I run. I run "heavy". I am frustrated with myself and the negative tape plays over and over in my head. I beat myself up for needing an attitude adjustment so soon after coming back from a lovely, restful vacation.

I want to be light on my feet and enjoy the running again. I need to break through this week and my negative feelings. I need to bump up the miles (three weeks at 26 miles for the week) and I need to get over it and get to the track.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's your hobby. Not that it shouldnt come without its hurdles, but it is supposed to be fun. Disregard the mechanics of it all for now and just flow. Your pace... your style will come back only if you allow yourself.