Thursday, November 20, 2008

Holy Cannolli's: I Did it!

It's Thursday already and it's hard to believe that I ever actually crossed the finish line of a marathon, yes, 26.2 miles, this past Sunday, November 16, 2008. It's been a long freakin' road for me since I suddenly, slowly, coercively, maybe considered that it might be a good idea to see if I could actually perform the feat of running, walking or crawling to the finish line after 26.2 miles. The Greeks used to do it in the buff, what the heck?

Anyway, it all happened (settle in now, this is the Irish story telling part, it'll be awhile) last year when I joined Gilbert's Gazelle's in Austin, Texas. I'd wanted to join for a while, but for family reasons and yes, fear, I delayed. Finally, I got out there and started kicking myself into some sort of shape. You see, I've never been an athlete at all -- kind of a loner, dork -- really. I was not really good at any thing athletic when I was young...ask my mother. Anyway, there I was, working hard, doing the hills, the speed work and, honestly, having fun.

Except that everyone kept asking me -- what marathon are you doing? Ugh, I'm not, I would say. Then why are you out here; why are you running such long runs? I want to be prepared for the 3M I'd say. Finally, Gilbert stopped asking me what marathon and started asking my why not marathon. I'm afraid, I fessed up. I just can't imagine myself running that far. 13.1 miles, sure; 5K; 10K, no problem. 26.2. Get the Hell out of here!

But, I loved to talk to the marathoners...which one have you done?; how many have you done? What's Boston like, what's NY like? What did you wear? What did you eat? Did you sleep? I followed my friends through their training. I joined people for parts of their marathons. I guess I was living vicariously. I was in awe of them all. Some had done 5; some 10; some 18. I really admired them and what they endured because I just knew I didn't have what it took mentally to cross that line into marathon land.

Last Spring, after a few local races, I was gently pushed and let myself be gently pushed by my running compadre Larry, aka, Lorenzo Blanco. Commit, sign up, he'd tell me. So, I did. Then I got hurt -- don't we all.

I thought, with some relief, this is my way out. I could just do the 1/2. I know I can do that. But, I went to Gilbert's best guy -- PK at SPI and, along with T at SPI, we set to work. Orginally, T told me, you can't run; you need to lay off for 8 to 12 weeks. I started to cry; right there, right in front of him and everyone in that big room who had surgeries and other more difficult injuries to overcome. I felt like an idiot. It's just a marathon -- it's not like I'm some pro or something. I'm just an average 42-year-old mom who finally decided to commit. But the tears were rolling and they wouldn't stop.

I had to quit workouts for a while and that was awful. I missed the group and I missed Gilbert. But, I couldn't go. LB created a conservative plan for me to stay with running while I tried to fix the problem.

Suffice it to say, I went to PT every week until the marathon -- it was a long, long road with some set backs along the way. P really let me run a little more each week until I finally clocked a serious 20 miler. Once the PA at the practice said, wow, only one 20 miler. You aren't going to make it. That really pissed me off and got me going and I dug in hard on training.

I ran more miles than I ever had in my life. I called everyone I knew and asked them what they did. One Saturday, M Woo gave me great advice...run alone, Red. If you are used to running with someone and you get separated for whatever reason, it will mess with you. So, I ran alone. I NEVER did that before, but it helped and it would come in handy.

I did one of the craziest things I have ever done....the Ragnar Relay from San Antonio to Austin, 181 miles, with a team of 6. LB said, you'll thank me for this in two weeks when you do the marathon. After 29.36 miles, no sleep or shower for 28 hours, not to mention the plumbing issues, I hardly believed him. Never again, I thought. This is nuts....More to follow


1 comment:

Alison said...

I love this! I am so interested to read the "behind the scenes" on your marathon. What an awesome accomplishment!