Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Badda Bing, Badda Boston: Part One

Everyone knows the end of the story already: I made it. But it wasn't pretty, or elegant or graceful. It was gritty and rough and painful. I didn't hit my A Plan, B Plan or C Plan; but I didn't hit the worst case scenario either. It wasn't at all what I imagined -- it was something completely different; and, it changed me.

I know, this is a good spot for an Eye Roll (ER).

I have been training for the Boston Marathon since Pieter and Troy told me I could put the right foot back in a running shoe and try 2 miles. Yes, just 2! It's been a really long time; nearly a year of building up to this race.

This was the 114th Boston Marathon -- the race is steeped in history and you feel the pressure of it when you arrive, even if you try not to. Everyone has qualified to be there and trained hard.

To give some perspective on this....I trained way harder for this race than for San Antonio in 2008 where I qualified for Boston. I wasn't even going to do another marathon EVER again until people kept telling me that I had to do Boston. They were totally right; It's the Super Bowl of Marathons and I'm glad I did it.

I consider myself the poster child for mistakes one can make at their first Boston Marathon. My expectations for myself were too high:Mistake Number One. I talked to lots of people and got lots of advice about what to do; so, hey, you would think that I would know better or at least learn from others. I didn't.

I'll skip right to race day. We head out on the busses and we actually have a great time. I'm with Double D, Lorenzo Blanco and LB from the Gazelles. Lorenzo is truly cracking me up on the bus and I'm kind of amazed that A) Lorenzo is being such a comedian and B) that I am not hurling from nerves. Lorenzo gives me an article about how to train for Boston and, while I politely read it I think; Um, it's a little late, don't ya think?

Anyway, one point Lorenzo is trying to make is that you should not disassociate from the race. He's mentioned this a few times and he is now backing it up with this article (again, race day, on the bus, kinda late). But, I read it anyway.

The athletes village is very cool and there are hardly any lines at the port o pots; that soon changes as loads of busses pull up and people are jumping fences to get in line. I head out to get in line again; just in case. I head across from where we are and make Mistake Number 2 -- didn't get right back in the port o pot line after I had finished the first time!

Anyway, it's time to head to our corral and we drop our bags and head down there. We all have to go again; nerves I suppose, but I'm worried about getting DQ'd since I heard they do that to people who use the bushes in Boston.

Finally, we are in the corral and I have to go again, but I can't leave the corral. I can't do anything else either. Here is Mistake NUMBER 3: Relieving oneself after the start. Yes, seriously, it's the Boston Marathon and I actually have to start the race and head to the bushes and then try to catch up...total Rookie move.

I try to soak it all in after the bush pit stop and hope I haven't just jinxed myself by using up that time and energy. There are hundreds of people in front of us; a huge sea of people running. It's amazing to see that many people.

From the get go, I have trouble breathing. I try to settle in to the pace, but I can't. We're too slow, too fast; slow, fast and I still am breathing too hard. Lorenzo tells me where we are fast or slow and I'm starting to worry.

Mile 4 -- Boston, we have a problem! My left, yes LEFT foot starts to give me a piercing throb up through the heel. I try to ignore it; I try to pretend this isn't happening. The wheels cannot come off this early; but, they are. The pain is so bad that it surprises me.

Then, I drop my first Gu. (Gasp and Mistake Number 4) Now, I now this may not seem like much, but if you are superstitious (like me) then all these little "nothing" happenings begin to add up to something.

"!@#@$", I shout. "Lorenzo, I just dropped my first Gu." "Don't worry about it, he says, you have more." "I know, but that's the first one." Now I have to dig in the pouch for a Gu without dropping all the other stuff in pouch.

Meanwhile, I take some tylenol while I'm in the pack. Still, I cannot get comfortable and my foot is hurting all the more and getting worse.

I have a bottle a water I've been carrying and it's time to toss it. I look left and yell, "tossing" and chuck the bottle, striking a fellow runner on the leg! OMG, I'm sorry, I'm sorry I shout, but it's too late. I've angered a fellow runner and invited bad karma my way...and, it's coming for me...

Yes, Mistake Number 5

About 45 minutes in; it's time for sodium. I pull one out of my pack and --- YES, I DROPPED IT! No way! I couldn't believe it. Lorenzo, I just dropped the salt pack. Ok, he says, and he fishes for another one and hands it to me and I'm able to hang on to it and get it to my mouth without fumbling. Mistake Number 6, I think I should just stop counting.

TO BE CONTINUED.....

2 comments:

Alison said...

A - I'm so proud of you. You are amazing! I can't wait for the rest of the story!

athena64 said...

What a great recap, I am having pangs in my foot as I read. I can not wait to hear how you pushed through with such an amazing finish. GO ALISH!