Monday, March 15, 2010

Roller Coaster

Ok, so I skipped a week -- of posts, not of training.

I have a good week and a not so good week; but I guess that's how training for a marathon goes. The minute you feel like everything is clicking along, something pops up.

I had signed up to do Moe's Better Half in San Marcos. I didn't want to do it and thought about not even going. We ran 11 the day before. I have NEVER run that far before a 1/2 marathon.

While I dreaded it, I actually had fun. I thought about it as a way to practice hills, water stops, and running while tired...running hills that is. Hills, twists, cows, llamas, and the finish and I end up second in my age group, not too shabby. I start feeling good.

Wrong.

My heel on my left foot starts to hurt. I skip a gym workout. My mileage drops. I aim to do a 22 miler, get a cramp in my calf and have to bail at 15! Now, I'm starting to worry.

What about my 3 22 milers. I won't get them in. What about my calf, is it tight or am I hurt? What about my heel, my foot, on and on...Oye vey, I can't stand the tape in my head.

People start to give advice. Kind of like they do when you are having your first baby. You don't really want to hear what they are telling you, but they tell you anyone. What will you wear? Do you know what you are eating? (eating, I'm not going to, just Gu thanks); what if it's hot? what if it's cold? Why are you eating that now? Why are you drinking that wine?

I call Gilbert in a panic, my calf, I say, afer, I am sorry to bother you...again. He tells me to stretch and laughs at how tight my hamstrings and calves are...Look at this...he calls to Bernard and Michael to show them my nearly snapping calves. Red, you are always tight, but this is ridiculous. Then I do some insanely dorky foot exercises barefoot on someone's lawn. Now do this, he says, now that, now pigeon toed. I'm beginning to think there's a hidden camera somewhere. We laugh at how silly I look.

But, the calf is looser. Tomorrow, I will go to the gym and not run (horrors) Drink more water he says, get a massage. Time to just listen to coach.

No comments: