Saturday, September 12, 2009

13.7 in the Pouring Rain

It's raining in Austin, but I'm not complaining, we need it desperately.

I actually do wake up during the storm and make the mistake of asking LB if we are still meeting to run. Of course, we are.

I head out to the designated meeting point and we load up and head to the start.

It is cold standing in the rain, so I decided to just go. I get frustrated waiting and, I have to admit, I'm slightly irritated and pensive at the same time. Yesterday marked 8 years since 9/11, I was in NY, and I always have a lot to think about. This year, I feel like I should have done more to help other people. I was very humbled to read about all the volunteers and what they did to help others. I think I was in shock, somewhat, but in any event, I want to think about that while running.

So, I don't wait for LB or DD, I just go. My foot hurts, in spite of a session with Pieter, and I am worried about it. I decided to stop thinking about my foot and try to remember some thinks about 9/11...so much of it is still a blur and memories come back in pieces.

It's raining very steadily. M Woo comes up with the group of guys and says, Hey Alicia. Hey. That's it. I am concentrating and move over for the guys to pass me. But, either they are not running super fast yet (warming up) or I am running pretty well. In any event, I decided to stay with them for as long as I can and I do. It feels great, but I know I can't hold it.

I stop at the water stop and wait for LB and DD. The rest of the run goes pretty well with many sub 8 min. miles. I bonk a little at the end, but I figure it's ok. My legs are sore and my foot is swelling, but I am less weighed down by the past, by the visions, by the nightmares...I let it go till next year.

No comments: