Tuesday, May 12, 2009

2 Miles and many more to go till Boston 2010

Well, here we are...at the beginning of a journey to Boston. It starts with 2 miles today.

Pieter released me to run two miles twice this week. Not without a raised eyebrow and a sullen stare that would ice your bodily fluids... "Just 2; not consecutive days and no pool running immediately after the 2 miles." Damn...too many blogs, he knows me now as he's giving very specific instructions.

I have to admit that I have been very blue this whole time. Ok, blue is a nice way of saying, I've been a complete witch, but with a b. (Sorry Gilbert)

Anyway, I headed to the trail today to meet LB who I last saw as he ran the Bun Run.

We ran 2 miles. Seriously. Mostly, we talked about life, dogs, retirement, or not, core work outs, poor trainers and plans for Boston. Yes, Boston...a year away. I am a planner. At least for 26.2 miles. LB is one of a very few people who doesn't mind talking about running and the race that is a year away over and over and over.

Anyway, imagine how it felt to see the same guy with the Ford Explorer who parks at the tennis courts every day and walks his dog; the three old guys that walk together every morning; and, wait, a Gazelle, a Gazelle, Tall D, a Gazelle.

I get a shout out from another LB...great to see you running. Thanks, I yell. And, it feels so great. The crunch of the trail under my shoes (yes, still Mizunos), chatting with LB.

There's a heaviness to my breathing and my body (ok, only one pound difference since the 6 week lay off), but I don't care. I'm running. Not on a treadmill, not in a cheesy gym, not in a contraption. I have some bad thoughts about my time, about how I'd like to pick it up, about how I'd love to add on. But, LB keeps me clean,for Pieter and for me. No, he says, we have to turn around.

I start to ponder the long road to Boston...2 miles...many more to go. We do planks and sit ups and plan. I go home and read some blogs about Boston. I read some good advice. Stop listening to everyone else and plan your own race.

Tomorrow, Troy will get a look at the foot...I would guess that Troy would have rather I waited another week or two....

1 comment:

Tall Dan said...

I saw you on your inaugural test run, how cool is that! I'm pleased that you're back on the trail again. Injuries are awfully inconvenient.

Tall D